Year: 2001
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Corvette
Colour: Black
Horsepower: 0
Torque: 0

Setting up a rally type event.

Unread post by stevec5ws6 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:36 pm

So, looking for advise and ideas thinking about a 1 or 2 day rally in the state of WV... debating on distances, etc. I know a few folks here have done shorter rallies and was hoping some of their experience could chime in?

Really hoping to learn a lot of things without learning them the hard way.

BTR-75
V-Twin - 85HP
V-Twin - 85HP
Year: 2010
Make: Ford
Model: Mustang
Horsepower: 315
Modifications: Steeda CAI, Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Moroso Coolant Expansion Tank, Moroso Power Steering tank, Bama Tunes, Pypes Shorty Headers, O/R X-Pipe, Pype-Bomb exhaust, Foose Legend SS Stealth Wheels, Nitto Extreme NT555 Tires, Cervini's Ram Air Hood, Boss/CS Valance
Quarter_Mile: tbd
Grip: tbd

Re: Setting up a rally type event.

Unread post by BTR-75 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:35 pm

Make sure you have enough help, I ran a small one day rally with my brother and we could have easily used another couple of people the day of the rally. It's good to have people scattered along the route to take pix or help out any team that might have a mechanical issue.

Make sure you don't get too aggressive with how much ground you want to cover, this is important with a staggered start type event, not so much if it's a group start. With the staggered start you need to factor how many minutes the last team to leave will be behind the first team, I had my most experienced teams leaving last knowing they'd be ok and the newer teams would have the time needed.

Plan your stops carefully and coordinate with any restaurants to ensure they can accomodate a group of your size and will be able to do it on the date you need it. We stopped at an awesome place right on the coast but they were a little swamped in the kitchen with our 25+ people. Luckily we'd planned for that and had a "lunch quiz" waiting for them which kept the teams occupied. If you're going to have the entire group stop at the same time/place for lunch make sure you plan for enough time, this is important espcially if you have a staggered start in the morning.

I can provide you with some of the stuff I handed out for our rally if you'd like, might give you a few ideas or do different twists on some of the things.

Good luck with your rally, shoot me a pm if you'd like any of the stuff I made up for ours.
"Remember, in the end, nobody wins unless everybody wins." ~ Bruce Springsteen

FlaHP
V-4 - 110HP
V-4 - 110HP
Model: Lightning
Colour: White
Modifications: I can count to potato!!
Quarter_Mile: 11s

Unread post by FlaHP » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:25 am

My wife son and I did this one. They did some really cool stuff in there's. You could never let your guard down. It was a new format but a lot of fun.

I think the key is to take advantage of people that offer to help and strong communication.
BTR-75 wrote:Make sure you have enough help, I ran a small one day rally with my brother and we could have easily used another couple of people the day of the rally. It's good to have people scattered along the route to take pix or help out any team that might have a mechanical issue.

Make sure you don't get too aggressive with how much ground you want to cover, this is important with a staggered start type event, not so much if it's a group start. With the staggered start you need to factor how many minutes the last team to leave will be behind the first team, I had my most experienced teams leaving last knowing they'd be ok and the newer teams would have the time needed.

Plan your stops carefully and coordinate with any restaurants to ensure they can accomodate a group of your size and will be able to do it on the date you need it. We stopped at an awesome place right on the coast but they were a little swamped in the kitchen with our 25+ people. Luckily we'd planned for that and had a "lunch quiz" waiting for them which kept the teams occupied. If you're going to have the entire group stop at the same time/place for lunch make sure you plan for enough time, this is important espcially if you have a staggered start in the morning.

I can provide you with some of the stuff I handed out for our rally if you'd like, might give you a few ideas or do different twists on some of the things.

Good luck with your rally, shoot me a pm if you'd like any of the stuff I made up for ours.
Project team Struck 2001 White Lightning

stevec5ws6
V-4 - 110HP
V-4 - 110HP

Unread post by stevec5ws6 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:14 pm

BTR-75 I am definitely interested in learning everything i can. Length of the rally is definitley a worry for me, we started to set up a couple of cruises, there are some of our group that are "fast paced" and then guys started saying "i wanna do it" ... but i'm not going over the speed limit anywhere, and i don't like passing cars.. etc. and i don't know where i am going.

so while not doing things crazy, some of us would naturally get there a lot faster just because we might drive 5 over, and pass the car that's doing 35 in a 55 zone.

BTR-75
V-Twin - 85HP
V-Twin - 85HP
Modifications: Steeda CAI, Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Moroso Coolant Expansion Tank, Moroso Power Steering tank, Bama Tunes, Pypes Shorty Headers, O/R X-Pipe, Pype-Bomb exhaust, Foose Legend SS Stealth Wheels, Nitto Extreme NT555 Tires, Cervini's Ram Air Hood, Boss/CS Valance

Unread post by BTR-75 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:34 am

I'll send you everything in an email, either leave your address here or pm it to me.

stevec5ws6
V-4 - 110HP
V-4 - 110HP

Unread post by stevec5ws6 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:41 pm

my email is stevenm357@yahoo.com Thanks!

FlaHP
V-4 - 110HP
V-4 - 110HP
Model: Lightning
Colour: White
Modifications: I can count to potato!!
Quarter_Mile: 11s

Unread post by FlaHP » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:48 pm

There best part was you pulled into a farm in bfe and we had to sing to an old country band. Little did we know they were filming and it ended up on you tube.

Epic idea.

One thing I would add is some thing to stretch the legs of the rides.

Last year I heard more excitement over the oval, drag strip, and darlington than anything.
Project team Struck 2001 White Lightning

BTR-75
V-Twin - 85HP
V-Twin - 85HP

Unread post by BTR-75 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:59 pm

Just sent you the files, our rally was to benefit animal shelters in three coastal counties here along Florida's gulf coast so I included the list of donations I sent each of the teams into the store we met at that morning to get their needed donations. It was rather amusing collecting the $25 entry fee then giving them $20 back to go buy the stuff, they were told ahead of time donations would be accepted but did not know that they'd be getting most of their money back to buy additional donations. I ended up on the short side of things, didn't even come close to collecting enough money to cover the cost of things but I figured that was my part of the donation to the charities and my wife being an incredible animal lover/activist didn't have a problem with how things turned out. :)

A few teams showed up that morning with quite a few donations already, the three animal shelters we went to were all very happy with everything the rally brought in to them and I'm pretty sure all the teams had fun.

RacerTCI
Site Admin
Site Admin
Last_Name: Intrieri
Year: 2013
Model: Mustang Boss 302
Colour: white
Horsepower: 444
Quarter_Mile: 12.8
Grip: huh

Unread post by RacerTCI » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:46 pm

Steve you got my # give me a shout but we need to "keep it vague" on the details because I will be competing in your event :)

levilz
3 Rotor Rotary - 315HP
3 Rotor Rotary - 315HP
Last_Name: Elza
Year: 1998
Make: Pontiac
Model: Trans Am
Colour: Red
Horsepower: 368
Torque: 355
Modifications: Long Tubes
Custom True Duals with 1-Chambers